Sheffield - St Vincent

An attractive polygonal design of 2001, with a top-lit sanctuary. It is the successor to a George Goldie church built in the 1850s for the Irish population of Sheffield, and fittings of note include the fine Gothic stone font from the predecessor church. 

Read More

Sheffield - St William of York

A church which has grown from a modest stone-built chapel of 1905. It was significantly enlarged in the interwar period and underwent a major remodelling after the Second Vatican Council. All phases involved architectural practices of regional significance. It is the 1970s remodelling which now prevails, with a dramatically-lit internal space and some furnishings of note.  

Read More

Spinkill - Immaculate Conception

A fine church by J. A. Hansom with minor additions by the same architect and commendably restrained north extensions. The building is a good example of a Catholic church of the date, reflecting the adoption of Puginian principles of design, while the richness of the detailing is testament to the availability of relatively generous funding. The exterior is little altered and the interior retains some original furnishings and glass, enhanced by the addition of good modern glass in the nave. 

Read More

Stainforth - Our Lady of the Assumption

A large church built to serve a mining community in 1956, built on a wide staggered longitudinal plan, possibly influenced by Coventry Cathedral. It retains some good original furnishings, including the high altar with mosaic frontal, and a set of lithograph Stations of the Cross by Frank Brangwyn, but in other respects has been much altered.

Read More

Staveley - St Joseph

An economical brick Gothic Revival design, built in the interwar years with volunteer labour to serve a poor mining district. The interior has been reordered on several occasions, and contains good figurative stained glass, a historic organ and a tabernacle by David John.

Read More

Thrybergh - St Gerard

A plain, brick church with a portal frame, built to serve a post-war housing estate. 

Read More

Totley, Sheffield - English Martyrs

A small, neat, modern suburban church built in the 1960s as a chapel-of-ease, and designed to serve as a parish hall to a later (unbuilt) church. This perhaps allowed greater freedom for liturgical experiment; the church has an innovative plan, top-lit sanctuary, and furnishings of note. 

Read More

Wath-upon-Dearne - St Joseph

A carefully-detailed Perpendicular Gothic design by M. E. Hadfield & Son, built with the support of two wealthy local Catholic families. The interior remains largely intact, with rich fittings and furnishings, including a fine reredos by Charles Hadfield and a notable collection of stained glass. The church forms a good group with the adjacent contemporary presbytery. 

Read More

Wickersley - Blessed Trinity

A functional portal-framed structure, built in 1961 to serve post-war estates to the east of Rotherham.   

Read More

Wombwell - St Michael and All Angels

An unusual, possibly unique example of a Roman Catholic church built using the CLASP method of prefabricated construction, built in the 1960s in an area prone to mining subsidence. The polyester resin windows were also chosen to counter the effects of subsidence, and put to artistic effect by Reg Williams.

Read More

Woodlands - St Joseph and St Teresa

A modest interwar Gothic church, altered internally.

Read More

Worksop - St Joseph the Worker

A striking hexagonal design of the Post-Vatican II period, its tall needle spire acting as a local landmark. The little-altered interior is a warm and welcoming space with furnishings of note by Eric Carr.

Read More

Worksop - St Mary

An early and fine Gothic Revival design of 1838-40 by Weightman & Hadfield, built at the expense of the twelfth Duke of Norfolk, after the sale of Worksop Priory (where Catholic worship had been maintained in the eighteenth century). The style is Perpendicular Gothic, with a hammerbeam roof. The church and adjoining contemporary presbytery are set within a burial ground, with the perimeter walls and trees forming a good group in the local townscape and conservation area.

Read More