Chesterfield - Holy Family

Derby Road, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S40 2EP

title= title=

A modest interwar structure, testament to the generosity and commitment of a parishioner who gave the land and built the church. 

The church was established to serve housing estates built in this part of Chesterfield from 1924. Mr W. J.  Nolan (or Martin Nolan, as he is named in The Tablet) provided a site next to his own house on Derby Road, and designed and built the church himself in 1930 with furnishings supplied by Messrs Eyre & Son. It was opened by Bishop Dunn of Nottingham on 23 June that year. The building acted as a chapel-of-ease to the church of the Annunciation (q.v.) until 1942, when a separate parish was formed. Following the death of Mr Nolan in that year the diocese bought his house, which stands immediately beside the church, for use as a presbytery.  Confessionals and a baptistery were added in 1950 and in 1955 a parish hall was built to the rear of the presbytery at a cost of £5,000.

The sanctuary was reordered and the sacristy enlarged in 1968 by John Rochford & Partner, when a new altar and other furnishings were installed. Another reordering, by Horsley Huber, took place in 1999.  A new west window to a design by David Pilkington was inserted in recent years. 

A modest building of 1930, constructed of red brick laid in stretcher bond with a pitched slate roof. There is a gabled porch at the west end, possibly a later addition but extant by 1943, with Tuscan columns and the name of the church in gold lettering. An openwork cross finial is attached to the main west gable. Windows generally have flat heads, except the east window which is cambered. The interior has not been inspected; photographs show an arch-braced timber roof and oak bench seating. The east window has stained glass probably of mid-twentieth century date. There is a plinth against the east wall with an ornate metalwork tabernacle designed by David John in 1999.  

Diocese: Hallam

Architect: W. J. Nolan (builder)

Original Date: 1930

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed