Newcastle-upon-Tyne - St Lawrence

A stone-built Early English Gothic Revival design, originally built in 1847 as a Presbyterian church in New Bridge Street, from designs by John Dobson. It was rebuilt for Catholic use in Felton Street in 1897, and since the 1970s has been an important element of Ralph Erskine’s Byker Wall Estate, at one end of Spire Lane, with the Anglican parish church of St Michael at the other end. 

Read More

Newcastle-upon-Tyne - St Michael

One of Dunn, Hansom & Dunn’s finest compositions, a large structure which once presided over the terraces serving Armstrong’s Elswick Works, but whose setting is now sadly blighted. The high crossing is crowned by an octagonal lantern recalling Ely Cathedral. 

Read More

Newcastle-upon-Tyne - St Teresa of the Infant Jesus

A striking and innovative design of the early 1970s, near to a medieval ruin and on the edge of a steeply-sided, wooded valley which forms part of a registered park.

Read More

Newcastle-upon-Tyne - The Holy Name

A solid and well-detailed neo-Romanesque design of the 1920s, showing some Byzantine influences, which makes a positive contribution to the Jesmond Conservation Area, and forms part of the setting of Jesmond Towers, a grade II* house. 

Read More

Newhouse - Our Lady Queen of Martyrs

A mission was established at Newhouse as early as 1651. The present church dates largely from 1883, replacing a church of 1871 (the chancel and associated presbytery of which survive). Looking at first glance like a rural medieval parish church, it was actually built as a Catholic church to serve a poor mining community. The impressive quality of the design and execution was due to the contribution of some significant local donors, notably Sir Frederick Smythe, who gave the land. Inside the church has a particularly rich high altar and reredos of 1894, unfortunately cut down and relocated in a reordering of 1982. It also has a nicely fitted out Holy Souls chapel, an unusual feature in a parish church.   

Read More

Newton Aycliffe - St Joseph

The 1984 work at St Joseph’s is a good piece of modern Catholic architecture, intelligently conceived and executed in fine materials. 

Read More

Newton Aycliffe - St Mary

Built in 1960 to serve the new town of Newton Aycliffe, the church is an economical, functional product of its time, with some good quality furnishings. 

Read More

North Gosforth - Sacred Heart

A rich mid-Victorian Early English Gothic design, built for Anglican use and acquired by the Diocese of Hexham & Newcastle in 1912. The interior, with its polychromatic brick and stone detail, is little altered. The church’s chief claim to importance is its fine collection of pre-Raphaelite stained glass, notably Edward Burne-Jones’s east window. 

Read More

North Shields - St Cuthbert

A functional design of the 1970s, replacing a historic chapel of 1821.

Read More

North Shields - St Joseph

A well-detailed brick design of the 1950s, and a local landmark. The church has a loosely basilican exterior and a light Gothic vaulted interior, and some notable furnishings, including fragments of old stained glass in the sacristy.

Read More

Otterburn - St Peter

On a domestic scale and appearance, with an interior dominated by the salvaged roof timbers, St Peter’s is a well maintained church adequate for its small congregation but of limited architectural or historic significance.

Read More

Pelaw - St Alban

A small church of the early 1970s, of pyramidal construction and roof form, and with a warm, timber-clad interior. 

Read More

Pershaw - Our Lady Queen on Peace

A modernistic portal-framed church of the mid 1960s with some unusual (but characteristic of Anthony J. Rossi) detailing. The interior has been re-orientated and the original sanctuary converted into a small hall.

Read More

Peterlee - Our Lady of the Rosary

A big-boned modern church of the mid-1960s by David Brown, built to serve the New Town of Peterlee.  The concrete portal framed building retains much of its original rather austere character, both externally and internally.

Read More

Ponteland - St Matthew

An architecturally modest building put up shortly after World War II, greatly altered and extended in 1978. The raised tower feature and curved brick walls make the building something of a landmark in the immediate vicinity.

Read More

Prudhoe - Our Lady and St Cuthbert

A church with an interesting history, the fabric having moved site (the chancel rebuilt twice). A good building that shows what the local firm of Dunn, Hansom and Dunn could do with strong patronage.

Read More

Rothbury - St Agnes

A decent and well-lit building, marrying post-War techniques and ideas with traditional materials and making the most of a difficult site.

Read More

Ryhope - St Patrick

An unusual Romanesque-classical hybrid design of the early twentieth century, originally serving a poor mining area. The most notable feature of the interior is the fine marble high altar by Messrs Battelli. 

Read More

Sacred Heart - South Shields

A plain inter-war church with Romanesque details which has been extended and reordered over the years.

Read More

Sacriston - St Bede

An economical brick design of 1878-81 by Dunn & Hansom, with a contemporary presbytery. The church contains a number of furnishings of note, installed about the turn of the twentieth century.

Read More