Washington - St Bede

A traditional church in modern forms by a well-known local architect, retaining much of its original mid-1960s character.

Read More

Washington - St John Boste

A well-detailed and functional modern church of hexagonal form with an open plan worship space.

Read More

West Denton - St John Vianney

A simple modern design of the 1980s, built upon and incorporating features from the predecessor church. 

Read More

West Monkseaton - Immaculate Heart of Mary

A modern dual-purpose church and hall. The ecclesiastical function is only expressed externally by two cross finials on the roof ridge, and by the apse shape of the ritual east end. 

Read More

Westerhope - St Mark

A fit-for-purpose design of the 1970s by Lanner of Wakefield. 

Read More

Whickham - St Mary

A simple centrally-planned modern church of the mid 1970s, which replaced an earlier church in a converted barn, of sixteenth or seventeenth century date (which survives nearby as the parish hall). 

Read More

Whitburn, Mill Lane - St Vincent

A small church from the 1950s which has been re-orientated and re-ordered using modern furnishings from local materials.

Read More

Whitley Bay - St Edward

A fine neo-Romanesque brick design of the 1920s by a notable Newcastle firm of architects. The scale and external design, with octagonal cupola over the crossing and ‘westwerk’ of attached turrets, make the church a local landmark. 

Read More

Whittington - St Mary Immaculate

Church and presbytery form a fine set piece, now within a mature and very attractive garden. The architecturally simple interior is enhanced by the survival of the 1890s sanctuary, with its Belgian furniture and richly coloured French stained glass window.  

Read More

Widdrington - St Joseph

A timber and steel frame multi-functional building of 1964, pleasantly updated internally at the end of the last century.

Read More

Willington - Our Lady and St Thomas

A large Gothic Revival church of the Edwardian years in a style of c.1300. It is quite conservative in spirit for its date but is boldly massed and has an impressive, spacious interior with striking murals in the sanctuary, added in 1912.

Read More

Windlestone - The Sacred Heart

A former miners’ welfare complex, probably built just before or after the First World War and brought into use by the Church in 1948. Of very modest interest.

Read More

Winlaton - St Anne

A well-detailed 1960s church, designed to fit in with its village context while nevertheless remaining distinctively modern.  The interior retains much of its original character.

Read More

Wolsingham - St Thomas of Canterbury

A Gothic Revival church of the 1850s designed by a leading Catholic architect. The planning and motifs employed are conventional for their time but the design is handled with assurance and the building has a confident exterior and a dignified interior. 

Read More

Wooler - St Ninian

A well massed building taking advantage of its hillside setting and with a somewhat severe architectural character not usually associated with its architect, George Goldie. Inside, it holds a fine group of Wailes stained glass windows and the sanctuary unusually retains its complete high Victorian altar and reredos on their original tiled steps.

Read More

Wrekenton - St Oswald

A handsome stone-built Early English Gothic design of the early twentieth century; not adventurous for its date and internally quite plain, but nevertheless a prominent feature in the local scene, forming a good group with the (earlier) presbytery. 

Read More