Gosforth - St Charles

A notable design by the Belgian-born architect Charles Menart, who had a major Glasgow-based church practice in the early years of the twentieth century. The style is a free version of Decorated Gothic. 

Read More

Halfwhistle - St John of Beverley

Placed on a large garden plot against fields on the northern edge of the village, this is a modest and well-executed ashlar church in Early English Gothic style. 

Read More

Halfwhistle - St Wilfrid

Built for the Presbyterian Church in 1899 and making the best of its corner site, with a modest, but distinctive southwest tower porch. The continuous timber clerestory and the rock-faced stone give the exterior a rugged, almost Scottish appearance. 

Read More

Hartlepool - St Cuthbert

A 1950s church built on a site established as a Catholic mission half a century earlier.  It is typical of the work of Crawford, with a pleasing, if conventional interior. The building is sited to contribute positively to the streetscene. The church retains some good quality oak joinery and nave seating but the sanctuary reordering has introduced fittings of indifferent quality.

Read More

Hartlepool - St John Vianney

A large post-war church built to serve a housing estate, economically built and with a functional interior. The campanile is a local landmark. 

Read More

Hartlepool - St Joseph

A large red brick late nineteenth-century Gothic Revival town church, designed by a well-regarded North East firm. The fine interior retains some good late Victorian and early twentieth century fittings, and its significance has not been harmed by reordering.

Read More

Hartlepool - St Teresa

A modest design, built to serve a post-war housing estate, economically built and with a functional interior. The church retains original nave seating and Stations of the Cross, but the sanctuary fittings all date from a more recent reordering.

Read More

Hartlepool - St Thomas More

A typical example of the many modest, well-built churches built to serve post-war housing estates. The interior is attractive, although fairly plain, but retains 1950s nave seating and lighting, and a contemporary altar, relocated and remodelled for a reordering in the 1980s.

Read More

Hartlepool - The Immaculate Conception

A good Early English Gothic design by J. A. Hansom, with a fine interior retaining original and early fittings of note.  The church is also an important element of the historic Headland, a designated conservation area, and lies close to the early medieval church of St Hilda. The site is of archaeological sensitivity.

Read More

Hebburn - St Aloysius

A large red brick Gothic Revival church and early work by Charles Walker of Newcastle, replacing an earlier school-chapel. The church was reordered for its consecration in 1999. 

Read More

Hebburn - St James

A large church conceived before and built after the Second Vatican Council, conventional in plan and design. It has a tall southwest bell tower and a projecting baptistery. The original sanctuary has been divided off to form a small hall.

Read More

Hexham - St Mary

Hexham has a history of continuous history of Catholic activity from the early seventeenth century. The present church was built at the time of the passing of the Catholic Emancipation Act, and is a fine Gothick design, apparently designed by the mission priest. 

Read More

Holy Island - St Aidan

A post-War utilitarian structure successfully re-vamped in 2007 as a multi-purpose building with accessible church and social spaces.

Read More

Horden - Our Lady Star of the Sea

A 1970s lightweight prefabricated octagonal structure with timber glulam roof trusses, built to replace a 1920s church on the same site.

Read More

Houghton-le-Spring - St Michael

An early post-Emancipation Catholic church by a well-known architect, this modest 1830s building by the younger Bonomi has been considerably altered and extended. The curious internal volumes are accounted for by the removal in 1907 of the floor that separated the original schoolroom below from the church above. Bonomi also designed the contemporary presbytery. 

Read More

Hutton Henry - SS Peter and Paul

One of the earliest modern Catholic foundations in east Durham.  A church and presbytery were built in 1825, from which time the presbytery survives. The church was rebuilt in Italianate style by John Kelly in the 1890s.  The handsome interior retains a number of late nineteenth century fittings.

Read More

Immaculate Heart of Mary - Gateshead

An early work by David Brown, in a fairly traditional style and with a conventional longitudinal plan. The interior is made striking by the wide arches which articulate the walls and by a bright modern colour scheme. 

Read More

Jarrow - St Bede

A small Early English Gothic church built in 1860-61 by voluntary labour for the largely Irish Catholic population of Jarrow. The church was remodelled and an elaborate Perpendicular Gothic south transept added in 1883, possibly from designs by Dunn & Hansom. 

Read More

Jarrow - St Joseph

A centrally-planned church from the early 1970s, built to serve a post-war housing estate, with a fan-shaped worship space.

Read More

Jarrow - St Mary

A plain post-war church, the internal plan reorientated in the 1990s. The new furnishings are of some quality and include a stained glass screen by local artist Fenwick Lawson. 

Read More