Homily

A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle

The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle has 179 churches (as of 2012). The cathedral is in Newcastle  and is dedicated to St Mary.The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle was founded on 29th September 1850, and was called the Diocese of Hexham until 1861. It covers the counties of Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham, and the part of Cleveland north of the River Tees. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Liverpool, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Liverpool.

The area covered by the diocese was a stronghold of Catholicism during penal years and large numbers of Catholic Irish immigrants arrived during the nineteenth century. Many churches were built in Northumberland by Catholic landowners at that time, though half of the diocese’s existing churches date from the 1950s and 1960s.

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Hexham and Newcastle was completed in 2012.