Alston - St Wulstan

A characterful vernacular building with a varied history. It has been used variously as the town jail, a stable and, during the Second World War, a canteen for Italian prisoners of war. It became a Catholic church in 1953.

Read More

Alston Lane - Our Lady and St Michael

A compact and complete example of the kind of small parish church design advocated by Pugin, by architects of national standing, with good stained glass attributed to Hardman.

Read More

Ansdell, Lytham St Annes - St Joseph

A substantial and expensive church with attached presbytery, by the Pugin firm for the Taylor brothers. The church and its tower occupy a commanding position in the townscape, and are notable for the striking contrasting use of yellow sandstone with red sandstone dressings. The interior is a large and impressive space, and the fitting out of high quality.

Read More

Appleby - Our Lady of Appleby

Post war church, not of special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Arnside - Our Lady of Lourdes

Attractive late nineteenth century stone-built school building, converted to church use in 1977.

Read More

Askam-in-Furness - St Anthony

Modest early twentieth century chapel serving small former industrial town.

Read More

Barrow-in-Furness - Holy Family

Post war church, not (on the basis of external inspection) of special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Barrow-in-Furness - Sacred Heart

1929   neo-Basilican/Byzantine   church   of   some   quality,   but   not   of   special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Barrow-in-Furness - St Columba

Post war church, not (on the basis of external inspection) of special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Barrow-in-Furness - St Mary

Built to the designs of E.W.Pugin and the first and the finest Catholic church in Barrow, a planned nineteenth century town built on the fortunes of the ironworks. 

Read More

Barrow-in-Furness - St Patrick

Modest, unadventurous design for its date. The significance lies more in the location, at the heart of the historic shipyard development, close to listed tenement and other shipyard structures. This has been designated a conservation area.

Read More

Barrow-in-Furness - St Pius X

Post war church, not (on the basis of external inspection) of special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Blackpool - Christ the King

Part of a major programme of church building in post-war Blackpool. Not (on the basis of external inspection) of special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Blackpool - Holy Family

A late work by the Pugin and Pugin practice, not outwardly of great significance

Read More

Blackpool - Our Lady of the Assumption

Large church in a blocky style with much bare wall, owing something to the Art Deco style of the 1930s. Not (on the basis of external inspection) of special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Blackpool - Sacred Heart

The earliest and the most architecturally ambitious Catholic church in Blackpool. Built  by  EW  Pugin  at  the  expense  of  Miss  Tempest  of  Broughton  Hall,  and originally served by the Society of Jesus. Its most striking and original feature is the large octagon, added by Peter Paul Pugin in the late C19.

Read More

Blackpool - St Bernadette

Post war church, not (on the basis of external inspection) of special architectural or historic interest. Part of a major programme of church building in post-war Blackpool.

Read More

Blackpool - St Cuthbert

Handsome and richly furnished church serving Blackpool’s South Shore, by James O’Byrne, a leading Liverpool Catholic architect.

Read More

Blackpool - St John Vianney

The major contribution to a vigorous post-war church building programme in Blackpool and its environs. This is a substantial brick church with a prominent west end, built in 1958-9 to the designs of Sandy and Norris.  

Read More

Blackpool - St Kentigern

The first church to be built in the newly-created diocese of Lancaster. St Kentigern is a building of some architectural quality, very old-fashioned for its date, but with a little-altered interior with stained glass, reredoses by Boulton.

Read More