St Anne's-on-the-Sea - Our Lady Star of the Sea

Stone built gothic church by Peter Paul Pugin, built under the patronage of Canon James Taylor with support from the Duke of Norfolk. Incomplete original design sympathetically completed 1927. Church and contemporary presbytery lie at the heart of the St Anne’s Road East conservation area.

Read More

St Anne’s-on- the- Sea - St Alban

Post-war church, not of special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Staveley - Sacred Heart

Utilitarian twentieth century structure,  not of special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Thornton-le-Fylde - Sacred Heart

While not of the same townscape or design quality as Pugin and Pugin’s later church at Ansdell, the church and presbytery are buildings of some architectural quality by a well-known firm.

Read More

Thornton-le-Fylde - St Nicholas Owen

Post war structure, not of special architectural or historical interest

Read More

Thurnham - St Thomas and St Elizabeth

This is a highly competent mid nineteenth essay in ecclesiologically-correct fourteenth century design, by a major architect. Placed in a tranquil wooded setting and historically associated with the nearby Thurnham Hall, the church forms an attractive group with the earlier presbytery, the striking Gillow mausoleum, boundary walls and lych-gate.

Read More

Torrisholme, Morecambe - The Good Shepherd

Former Methodist chapel, not of great architectural significance, but forming part of an attractive townscape around the centre of Torrisholme.

Read More

Ulverston - St Mary of Furness

This is one of the more interesting Sinnott and Powell churches. Although the large interior  volume  is  typically  dull,  and  some  of  the  architectural  detail  e.g.  the capitals of the nave arcade typically crude, the sandstone construction and picturesque external massing of the buildings are very attractive, and Fr Allan’s artistic contributions curious and interesting.

Read More

Warwick Bridge - Our Lady and St Wilfrid

A small but highly significant sandstone church by A.W.N.Pugin, leading architect and propagandist of the Gothic Revival. Built under aristocratic patronage, the building is notable above all for the richness and completeness of the internal furnishing and decoration. 

Read More

Wesham - St Joseph

Large and relatively cheap red brick gothic revival church built for cotton mill workers.

Read More

Westby - St Anne

EW Pugin in ‘Roguish’ mode; eclectic gothic church and presbytery in the traditional Catholic stronghold of the Fylde.

Read More

Whitehaven - St Begh

The church is a good example of E W Pugin’s work. The adjacent earlier chapel and presbytery are of some historical interest although the original interior of the chapel has been lost.   The site has considerable importance because Whitehaven has been the centre of the Benedictine mission in West Cumbria since 1706.

Read More

Whitehaven - St Gregory and St Patrick

Simple  late  nineteenth  century  mission-style  church,  part  of  the  Benedictine mission to mainly Irish labourers.

Read More

Whitehaven - St Mary

Of some interest as example of 1960s ‘modern Gothic’, showing the stylistic influence of F.X.Velarde.

Read More

Whithaven - St Benedict

An interesting modern functional design of the 1970s.

Read More

Wigton - St Cuthbert

St Cuthbert’s Wigton is one of the oldest Catholic churches still in use in Cumbria. Described by Pevsner as ‘a remarkably substantial building for its date and construction’ it is an early sign of both Catholic and Gothic Revival in the county. 

Read More

Windermere - Our Lady of Windermere and St Herbert

An unremarkable 1960s structure, and is not of special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Workington - Our Lady Star of the Sea and St Michael

A good and complete church by E W Pugin, part of the Benedictine mission to West Cumbria .

Read More

Workington - St Gregory

Post war church, not of special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Yealand - St Mary

1852 church by Edward Paley for Richard Gillow of Leighton Hall, outdoing the Anglican church in size, prominence and architectural quality. Attached predecessor chapel and late seventeenth/early eighteenth century presbytery.

Read More