Askam-in-Furness - St Anthony

Crossley Street, Askam-in-Furness

title=

Modest early twentieth century chapel serving small former industrial town.

Askam-in-Furness owes its existence to H.W.Schneider’s discovery in 1850 of the country’s second largest iron ore deposit. Furnaces were established in 1864, and smelting began in 1867.   Terraced houses were created for the workers. The mine closed in 1918, and the industrial buildings were demolished in 1933.

Askam has two churches, one Methodist and one Catholic, reflecting the social background of those who came to work here. The building now used as the Catholic church was built in 1907 (according to the date stone on the front gable), possibly as a non-conformist chapel, and assumed its present use in 1956.

A modest building with red sandstone facing to the front façade, otherwise faced in pebbledash. Small gabled porch. Rectangular headed windows containing stained glass. Interior not inspected.

Diocese: Lancaster

Architect: Unknown

Original Date: 1907

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed