Barrow-in-Furness - St Columba

Presbytery: 13 Margate Street, Barrow-in-Furness LA14 3AF. Church is in Bristol Street, Barrow Island.

title=

Post war church, not (on the basis of external inspection) of special architectural or historic interest.

Extensive terrace housing for shipyard workers was built on Walney Island, which lies a short distance from the mainland, across the Walney Channel. A parish was established in 1916 and the present school building to the south dates from this time. The present church was built in 1958.

Fairly large red brick church, slate roof. Continuous ridge. Western porch and large narrow  west  window  framed  by  piers  which  continue  up  to  a  small  open  gable housing a cross. Interior not inspected.

Diocese: Lancaster

Architect: Cruickshank and Seward of Manchester?

Original Date: 1958

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed