Pilling - St William of York

Garstang Road, Pilling, Preston PR3 6AL

title= title= title= title=

Late C19 church of modest architectural pretensions, quite attractively grouped with adjoining presbytery.

Built in 1890-1, Architects Sinnett and Powell of Liverpool, builders J & T Yearsley of St Helen’s.  The presbytery attached to the (ritual) and the school (site to the east) built at the same time. The school has been much extended. The Sanctuary was re- ordered in 1976.

The familiar small-church type popularised by the Pugins and Hansoms: towerless, west front gathered up to a bellcote at the apex, internally a single volume. Trefoil- headed lancet windows under hood moulds. The church and the attached presbytery are built of a harsh red brick from Ruabon, Wales, with local stone for the dressings. The entrance is via a lean-to porch at the (ritual) NW corner.

The  paired  lancet  windows  in  the  canted  apse  have  stained  glass  figures  of    St William of York, Edward the Confessor, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Immaculate Heart of Mary, St Thomas Becket and St Winifred, Virgin and Martyr. Stone high altar.  Oak pulpit and communion rails from 1930s. Forward altar in similar materials and  stencil  decoration  in  sanctuary  belongs  to  re-ordering  by  Simon  Gillespie, architect of Preston, in 1976. Canted roof and plain pitch pine pews in nave.

Diocese: Lancaster

Architect: Sinnott and Powell of Liverpool

Original Date: 1891

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed