Homily

A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Leeds

The Diocese of Leeds has 114 churches (as of 2008). The cathedral is in Leeds and is dedicated to St Anne.The Diocese of Leeds was founded on 20th December 1878 out of the former Diocese of Beverley. It consists of the whole of West Yorkshire (with the exception of the parish of Todmorden) together with some parishes in the East Riding, North Yorkshire, Greater Manchester and Lancashire. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Liverpool, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Liverpool.

The oldest piece of Catholic Heritage in Catholic hands in the present-day Diocese of Leeds is the shrine of Our Lady of the Crag in Knaresborough. Dating from about 1409, this is one of the oldest wayside shrines in Great Britain. The chapel was given to Ampleforth Abbey by a Liverpool Catholic who had bought it in 1916. The first cathedral in Leeds was built in 1838 as St Anne’s church, next door to the present cathedral site, which was elevated to cathedral status in 1878. This was demolished in 1899 as part of a road widening scheme, and the present cathedral was built 1901-4.

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Leeds was completed in 2008.