Whitby - St Hilda

A good example of the work of the noted regional firm of Weightman & Hadfield, with a strong and individual character, the design taking its cue from the nearby ruins of Whitby Abbey. 

Read More

Withernsea - St Peter and St John Fisher

A simple interwar church of minimal architectural or artistic significance.

Read More

Wycliffe - St Mary

A handsome mid-19th century chapel which has been refitted internally but retains some fittings of considerable interest, notably the medieval font. The church is in a prominent hilltop position and forms a good group with the presbytery and former schoolroom. 

Read More

Yarm - St Mary and St Romuald

One of several in the diocese by George Goldie, the church is in a vigorous High Victorian style, built of brick and using structural polychromy which was so popular in Gothic Revival architecture at the time. The tall bellcote rising behind the north porch is a particularly distinctive and unusual feature, and the church occupies a prominent position in the otherwise mainly Georgian townscape of Yarm. 

Read More

York - English Martyrs

A good and fairly complete 1930s church of the traditional Early Christian style popular with Inter-War Catholic churches, with most of its original fittings and furnishing remaining. The church is almost identical in design to the same architects’ St Vincent de Paul, Hull. With the contemporary presbytery, the church makes a powerful and positive contribution to the conservation area in which it stands.

Read More

York - St George

Gothic Revival church by Joseph and Charles Hansom displaying renewed Catholic confidence at the time of the restoration of the hierarchy. The church was briefly the pro-Cathedral of the new diocese of Beverley, but was built in a poor area of the city, primarily for Irish immigrants. It is an assured essay in the style of about 1300, and contains some notable furnishings, including glass by Hardman (possibly  designed by Pugin) and an early  19th   century  James  Davis organ, from the old St Wilfred’s chapel. The church and presbytery form a good group in a conservation area, close to the medieval town wall.

Read More

York - St Paulinus

Modest 1960s church of no great architectural pretensions but with a pleasing, homely interior and some furnishings of note.

Read More

York - St Wilfrid

High Victorian design in French Gothic style by George Goldie, who was not cowed by the proximity of York Minster. A design of great power and conviction both inside and out, with many original and later furnishings of high quality. This was the Pro-Cathedral of the diocese of Beverley from 1864 until 1879.

Read More