Easingwold - St John the Evangelist

Long Street, Easingwold, York, North Yorkshire

title= title= title= title= title= title=

Simple stone lancet Gothic church, single cell with contemporary attached presbytery behind. An early (possibly the earliest) work by Joseph Hansom. The interior is plain, with a west gallery.

In 1802 the English Benedictines from Dieulouard were driven out ofFranceand took up residence at Ampleforth Lodge, home of the chaplain of Ann Fairfax of Gilling. From this grew the present community andschoolofAmpleforth Abbey. 25 years later, by agreement between the Benedictine Provincial and the Vicar Apostolic, the missions at Oulston and Crayke, hitherto served by a Benedictine, were closed and a mission established at Easingwold. A house (the present presbytery) was built in 1830. The church followed and is possibly the earliest work by J. A. Hansom; it opened in 1833.

In 1870 a new stone high altar was given by Mrs Stapleton of Myton Hall, designed by Joseph Hansom junior.  In the following year a school was built alongside the church, possibly from the designs of Hadfield and Sons (see list description). This was extended in 1901. 

In the early 1880s a single storey addition was built at the west end of the presbytery. In the late 1880s alterations to the church included the rebuilding and raising of the roof, the replacement of a high brick wall along the street boundary with a low wall and railings, and the addition of a church porch.

In about 1892 a rood screen designed by Charles Hansom in 1845 for St Anne’s Church, Edge Hill,Liverpoolwas installed at Easingwold by the then parish priest, Fr Pearson. It was removed in 1964, but the Crucifixus was retained (now on the east wall over the high altar).

In 1905 the exiled Sisters of Mercy fromRouenestablished a school at Easingwold. They returned toFrancein 1948, but a number of the Sisters are buried in the churchyard.

In 1907-8 the presbytery was altered by the addition of bay windows and a porch.

In 1934 a set of 19th century oak benches was introduced to the church. 

LIST DESCRIPTION: 

Roman Catholic church. 1830-33 by J A Hansom, altered 1870 by Hadfield & Sons ofSheffield. Ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate roof Raised coped gables with kneelers. Plinth. Single cell church with western porch. Gothic Revival style. West front has projecting single storey porch with buttresses and a raised coped gable with kneelers and a cross finial. Central pointed arch doorway with double plank doors in a chamfered surround with hood mould. Behind a tall triple lancet set within 3 tall lancets with round columns and double chamfered arches. Above a gabled bellcote with a pointed arch and bell. At the corners diagonal buttresses with set-offs. Either side 5 tall lancets in chamfered openings with buttresses between, the south side has the eastern 2 bays masked by a later brick lean-to.

Interior: has panelled wooden roof a wooden west gallery and late C19 pews installed 1934. The elaborate Gothic style altar and reredos is stone with polished marble columns, designed by Joseph Hansom Jnr in 1870.
Listing NGR: SE5290169497

Diocese: Middlesbrough

Architect: J. A. Hansom

Original Date: 1830

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Grade II