South Bank - St Peter

Middlesbrough Road, South Bank, Teesville, Middlesbrough

title= title= title= title=

The present church of 1903-5 replaced a smaller one of 1874 which is still standing. Apart from the small cupola straddling the roof ridge towards the east end of the nave and the detail of the glazing, most of the external features would suggest a building of rather earlier date. However, inside the uninterrupted vista up the nave into the chancel, the striking ceiled hammerbeam roof, wooden vaulting in the aisles, and polished brown granite piers add up to an interior of great distinction. The west façade fronting the road forms a significant local landmark in a very drab urban area.

The original parishes of St Peter’s, South Bank (founded 1874: present church built 1903-5) and St Mary’s, Grangetown (1886), serving the Irish and Lithuanian immigrants who worked in the smelting works by the Tees, gave birth to the parishes of St Andrew (1962) and St Anne (1970) as the terraced streets near the works were demolished and new housing was built further south towards the Cleveland Hills. St Mary’s church was demolished in 1989 and the four parishes became one by 2002.

LIST DESCRIPTION:

Roman Catholic Church, 1903/05 by Lowther (Hull). Brick with stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs. Disoriented, terms used are ritual. Continuous aisled nave and chancel with half-octagonal apse, south porch, short pent transepts, and north-west tower. Decorated style with curvilinear tracery and French Gothic style tower. 3-stage tower has angle buttresses rising to short pyramid-capped turrets. Lower stages have
lancets under hoodmoulds; canted porch in north face. Paired lancet bell openings with louvres and cusped heads. Clock faces below eaves of steeply-pitched, sprocketed, hipped roof, with ball-and-spike finials. West end of nave has similar angle buttresses, flanking boarded double doors, with scrolled strap hinges, under shouldered heads, in paired pointed surrounds of 3 moulded orders on nook shafts and foliate capitals. Enriched hoodmoulds, gargoyles in spandrels and richly-carved tympana. Tall paired windows with nook shafts, flanking figure of St. Peter in niche with enriched corbel and hood. Rood in gable. 4-bay north aisle and 5-bay south
aisle; each has hip-roofed canted projecting chapel. Gabled porch has similar doors and surround. Transepts canted at east ends. Tapered timber and metal ridge vent, on nave, has cusped-headed openings, ogee-domed roof and weather vane; louvres missing.

INTERIOR: 6-bay arcades have compound granite shafts and foliate capitals. Round wall shafts, with carved capitals, between apse windows. Foundation stone dated 1903 on north side of apse. West gallery, holding organ, over glazed timber screen. Ceiled hammerbeam roof has cusped curved braces with enriched pendants. Pointed cross-vaulting in aisles. Stucco stations of cross on aisle walls. Wrought iron screens in easternmost bays of arcades. Similar communion rails.

Later house and offices, adjoining north side of chancel, are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ5321020806

Diocese: Middlesbrough

Architect: Brodrick, Lowther & Walker, of Hull (Diocesan Yearbook) or simply Lowther of Hull (list description)

Original Date: 1903

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Grade II