Ugthorpe - St Anne

Ugthorpe, North Yorkshire

title= title=

A good and substantial rural church, with high quality furnishings, especially the stained glass. The architect George Goldie was born in York and is a 19th century Catholic church architect of national standing. He built widely in the diocese.

Mass was said in the area throughout the Recusant period and a chapel was created at Ugthorpe by Father John Bradshaw in the loft of his thatched house in 1679. In 1810 the first church was built, converted to a school in 1855 when the present church was opened. Funding came from the Nelson family. The registers date from 1788. 

A substantial village church built of stone under a Welsh slate roof, of aisled nave, sanctuary and a square tower at the west end of the nave. 13th century Gothic style with plate and Geometrical tracery. Angle buttresses. The sanctuary has two two-light windows to the south with trefoiled heads and large quatrefoils in the heads. One similar window on the north side which is otherwise obscured by a gabled sacristy with paired lancets windows. The main east window is of three tall pointed lights with Geometrical tracery. Larger four-light west window. The nave aisles have three two-light windows with alternate circles and quatrefoils in the heads. Four small trefoil clerestory windows above. The effect generally is of massiveness with windows spaced widely apart. The tower is of two stage with buttresses to the lower stage only. This forms the porch and entrance to the church. Two-light louvred bell-openings with tall trefoiled heads. Plain parapet and pyramid roof. Above the entrance a sculpture in a niche, perhaps St Anne, mother of the Virgin Mary. To the left of the tower a calvary.

 

The interior has arcades (one bay less on the south side owing to the tower) on cylindrical columns and with plain chamfered arches. Similar sanctuary arch. Red and black tiled floor in the nave, much more richly treated ‘Minton’ tiles in the sanctuary. Simple pine pews probably of 1857. Roofs with braced collars and decorative hammerbeams, slightly more elaborate and stencilled in the sanctuary. Octagonal stone font to the right of the sanctuary arch and square stone pulpit to the left with Gothic stencil patterns. Wooden sanctuary rails. Painted stone altar and stone reredos with statues on octagonal stone pedestals to either side. Excellent stained glass in a number of windows of the time of the church, by Hardman and according to Pevsner ‘so close to Pugin that Hardman, who had worked so much for him, might well have used Pugin’s designs after Pugin had died in 1852’. John Hardman Powell worked as Pugin’s assistant at The Grange in Ramsgate and remained faithful to his style for many years. Some later stained glass, all of good quality and much of it probably by Hardman. The Builder of 3 November 1855 and 26 September 1857 mentions Hardman glass in the east and west windows and a Holy Family window in the south aisle.

Diocese: Middlesbrough

Architect: George Goldie of Weightman, Hadfield & Goldie

Original Date: 1855

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed