Homily

A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Middlesbrough

The Diocese of Middlesbrough has 93 churches (as of 2008). The cathedral is in Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough, and is dedicated to St Mary.The Diocese of Middlesbrough was founded on 20th December 1878 out of the Diocese of Beverley. It consists of the boroughs of Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton on Tees (south of the river), the cities of Kingston upon Hull and York, East Yorkshire and most of North Yorkshire. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Liverpool, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Liverpool.

Many of the churches in Middlesbrough diocese are by northern architectural practices rather than by nationally-active firms (such as  Pugin & Pugin). There are numerous distinguished buildings in the diocese by major Yorkshire practitioners of the 18th  century (John Carr of York), 19th century (George Goldie) and 20th century (Francis Johnson).

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Middlesbrough was completed in 2008.