Aston-Le-Walls - The Sacred Heart and Our Lady

Built in 1827, this is an early (pre-Emancipation) example of a village Catholic church, paid for by the Catholic landlord, but much of its interest has been eroded by the changes wrought in 1912 and 1991.

Read More

Aylesbury - Our Lady of Lourdes

1960s church of portal frame construction, built to serve a new housing estate. The building has a polygonal plan, and is a is a representative but unremarkable example of the post-Vatican II move away from the traditional longitudinal plan.

Read More

Aylesbury - St Joseph

A small town centre Gothic Revival church, conservative for its date, and architecturally unremarkable.

Read More

Beaconsfield - St Teresa of the Child Jesus, St John Fisher and St Thomas More

An interesting building of two main builds dating from the first half of the 20th century and with strong associations with the writer G.K. Chesterton, who was a parishioner. The original 1927 church by A.S.G. Butler is a modest example of late Gothic Revival work; the tower by Adrian Gilbert Scott completed just after the Second World War as a memorial to Chesterton is a bold and dramatic addition typical of this architect’s work.

Read More

Bedford - Christ the King

An attractive if (for its time) somewhat unadventurous design in a simplified Romanesque style, originally intended to have a crossing tower and transepts. The qualities of the interior impress more than those of the exterior. The church is one of a large number built in the Diocese in the post-war years by Sebastian Comper.

Read More

Bedford - Holy Cross

A functional building of the late 1950s, originally intended as a parish hall  for  a  church  that  was  never  built,  to  meet  the  needs  of  the expanding   and   mainly   migrant   Catholic   population   of   post-war Bedford. Architecturally, a notable feature is the laminated timber trusses of the nave, lending the interior something of the character of an upturned boat.

Read More

Bedford - St Philip and St James

A  functional  post-Vatican  II  design,  serving  the  post-war  northern expansion of Bedford.

Read More

Bedford - The Holy Child and St Joseph

An impressive stone built church, begun in the 1870s and completed in 1911,  by  which  time  its  High  Victorian  Gothic  style  was  very  old- fashioned. Disappointingly, the intended spire was never built, and the impact of the external design suffers as a result. The building does nevertheless occupy a prominent corner site and makes a positive contribution to the local scene. The interior is notable for the richness and quality of its stone furnishings, including three altars with their reredoses, vaulted sanctuary and side chapels, western gallery, pulpit, font etc. The building was fairly sensitively reordered in the 1980s, at which time some good new etched glass internal doors and partitions were added. The slightly earlier presbytery and schoolroom are brick- built Gothic designs in the Pugin-Butterfield mould and greatly add to the interest and variety of the group.

Read More

Biggleswade - St Peter

A functional design of the 1970s, of no special architectural or historical interest.

Read More

Bletchley - All Saints

A fairly large (intended to be larger) and late church by Sebastian Comper, in a loosely Classical style, with some Gothic elements. As with all Comper churches, the overall effect is of seemliness and quality, if a little dull. The recently-commissioned reredos  is  a  new furnishing  of high quality.

Read More

Bletchley - St Thomas Aquinas

A simple Gothic design by Sebastian Comper, half its intended size.

Read More

Bourne End - St Dunstan

An interesting modern church design by an established architectural practice, with a simply-planned church building linked to the previous temporary church and new presbytery to form a church complex.  The church itself with its rectangular plan and top lighting follows the practice of the period. The internal arrangements as built differ from what was originally proposed.

Read More

Brackley - St Martin

One of a number of churches in the Diocese designed by J. S. Comper, built on a low budget and not of special interest.

Read More

Buckingham - St Bernadine of Siena

A 1970s church of unprepossessing external appearance, but with a striking internal interior with some features and furnishings of note. The adjoining 19th  century presbytery is notable as the only house in Buckingham to be constructed in ‘Buckingham marble’.

Read More

Burnham- Our Lady of Peace

The church is in a stripped version of the loosely Basilican round-arched style so popular for Catholic churches in the interwar and early post- War years, although unusually with some Tudoresque touches. The interior has good original furnishings.

Read More

Burton Latimer - St Nicholas Owen

A striking 1970s church of modern design, by a noted local architectural practice.

Read More

Caddington - St Thomas Apostle

A  utilitarian  structure  of  the  1960s,  not  of  evident  architectural  or historical significance.

Read More

Chesham Blois - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour

An  early  20th   century  church  with  some  attractive  Gothic  detailing, much altered and extended in the 1950s.

Read More

Chesham - St Columba

A large church in modern Italian Romanesque style, its tall campanile something of a local landmark.

Read More

Corby - Our Lady of Walsingham

The exterior of this interwar church is unremarkable but the interior is striking spatially and the design of the nave roof and arcade columns is unusual.

Read More