Whitwick - Holy Cross

A substantial red brick Edwardian church of 1907 in the Gothic style designed  by  a  parishioner,  adjacent  to the  school  and  presbytery  of similar date and across the road from the former presbytery of 1837 belonging to the first chapel designed by A.W.N. Pugin (now demolished).  The  church  stands  on  a  prominent  site  and  makes  a positive contribution to the local townscape.

Read More

Wirksworth - Our Lady and St Teresa of Lisieux (Chapel of Ease)

A modest building built of local stone in a low-key but dignified Norman style. An extension has been carefully designed to match the original building.  The  interior  has  character  and  incorporates  good  stained glass. Church and churchyard make a positive contribution to the character of the conservation area.

Read More

Wollaton - St Thomas More

A utilitarian dual purpose church and hall built in the 1950s as the first phase of a larger never implemented development.

Read More

Woodhall Spa - Our Lady and St Peter

An attractive but architecturally unexceptional late Victorian church, originally intended as a dual purpose school and chapel. It was badly damaged in World War Two but was subsequently restored and has good recent additions.

Read More

Woodthorpe - The Good Shepherd

In the words of the list entry, ‘this is a fine example of a church designed on Liturgical Movement principles, with the altar placed to one side of a centralised plan form, in an arrangement which was advanced for its time in England. The church is also particularly notable for its spatial qualities, for its delicate vaulting descending onto slender piers and for its fine display of stained glass’.

Read More