Derby - St Mary

One of the most important examples of A.W.N. Pugin’s developing style, his first large parish church, his most ambitious essay in the Perpendicular idiom and his first collaboration with the builder George Myers. The building is of exceptional significance in the history of English church architecture in the 19th century generally, and in Roman Catholic church architecture in particular. The chapel addition by E.W. Pugin is of architectural importance and the building contains fixtures and fittings of high quality by Hardman, E. W. and P. P. Pugin and others.

Read More

Duffield - St Margaret Clitherow (Chapel of Ease)

A simple modern building in an attractive green setting. Although the worship area has some character the church is not considered to have special architectural merit or historic importance.

Read More

Dunstable - St Mary

An ambitious design of the early 1960s, built from designs by Desmond Williams & Associates at the time of the Second Vatican Council, and in some  respects  anticipating  the  architectural  and liturgical developments  which were to flow from the Council. However, unlike comparable examples such as Weightman and Bullen’s slightly earlier church at Leyland, Lancashire and Frederick Gibberd’s slightly later Cathedral at Liverpool, the altar was placed on axis with the entrance, and not centrally. The church is little altered, and contains a number of furnishings of interest. The interior is a dramatic space, oversailed by an 80 ft span roof of 600 banded aluminium pyramids. The church slightly predates the convent chapel at Clapham, Bedfordshire, another circular design by Williams.

Read More

Earl Shilton - St Peter and St Paul

A modest but thoughtfully designed modern church with some interesting fittings by a local sculptor.   It was designed as an integral part of a small housing development and makes a positive contribution to the townscape.

Read More

East Leake, Loughborough - Our Lady of the Angels

Post-war   church   in   the   stripped   sub-Romanesque   Moderne   style popular for Catholic churches in the middle decades of the 20th century. The   exterior   is   somewhat   gaunt,   the   interior   more   intimate   in character.

Read More

Eastwood - Our Lady of Good Counsel

A simple red brick Gothic church of late 19th  century date, occupying a prominent position in the townscape of Eastwood. Amongst the furnishings is a medieval altar slab from the nearby Carthusian house of Beauvale Priory.

Read More

Eyres Monsell, Leicester - St John Bosco

An unassuming brick building of the 1980s serving the post-war Eyres Monsell  housing  estate.     It  is  well-designed  and  has  some  fittings brought from the first church established in the Saffron Lane area in the 1930s.

Read More

Gainsborough - St Thomas of Canterbury

A polychrome Gothic Revival church of the 1860s which shows the influence of G.E. Street, this is the earliest of several churches in North Lincolnshire paid for by Thomas Young of Kingerby Hall and designed by Hadfield & Son. The church contains no historic furnishings of note and  the  contemporary  presbytery  has  had  its  windows  replaced  in PVCu, but the buildings are nevertheless a significant historic group in a narrow street away from the town centre.

Read More

Glossop - St Mary Crowned

The vast urban church is a landmark in the conservation area and associated with the industrial development of Glossop; it was built and paid for by the Sumner family, local mill owners.  The design is in the Early English Gothic style and the internal finishes are now plain, although retaining fittings of interest.

Read More

Grantham - St Mary the Immaculate

A building of four main phases which combine to form an attractive working church. Undoubtedly most important is the original 1833 building, but the 1960s work and 21st  century furnishings are of merit also. With the presbytery the church is important to the townscape of North Parade.

Read More

Grimsby - St John Fisher (Chapel of Ease)

A modern parish hall-type structure, not of architectural or historical significance.

Read More

Grimsby - St Mary on the Sea

A late Gothic Revival church by the Sheffield firm of M.E. Hadfield and Son.  The church was built with financial support from Thomas Young of Kingerby Manor, and is particularly richly fitted out. The original intention was for a much larger building, hence the rather truncated character of the design as built. The church and contemporary presbytery form part of a notable group of Victorian and Edwardian educational   and   religious   buildings   built   on   land   provided   by the Heneage Estate.

Read More

Grimsby - St Pius X

A handsome brick church in the modern Romanesque style, serving a post-war housing estate. The broad west tower is a local landmark. This is one of a large number of churches built in the Diocese in the post-war years by Reynolds & Scott. The interior was radically and successfully reordered by Peter Langtry-Langton in the 1990s.

Read More

Hadfield, Glossop - St Charles Borromeo

A good example of the robust Gothic Revival churches designed by the Sheffield firm Weightman, Hadfield and Goldie. Its significance lies particularly in its historical association with the Lords Howard, second sons of the Duke of the Norfolk, under whose patronage this and several churches in the Glossop area were built. The Howard family vault is below  the  northeast  chapel.  The  extensive  landscaped  setting contributes to the aesthetic significance of the site, laid out in the late 19th century.   Internally, the arcaded nave is enhanced by a good collection of early 20th century stained glass, including windows by Mayer & Co. of Munich.  The most significant fittings are the pulpit with alabaster figures, the re-set Gothic altar and reredos. The interior was remodelled and redecorated in 1940, showing great respect for the Gothic Revival character of the church.

Read More

Hassop - All Saints

All Saints is a building of exceptional architectural and historic importance as an early 19th century Catholic Chapel of highly distinctive classical design which survives almost completely intact. It is also important for its relationship with neighbouring Hassop Hall, formerly seat of the recusant Eyre family who built the church.

Read More

Hinkley - St Peter

Hinckley can claim to be the oldest parish in the Diocese of Nottingham. The mission was established in 1759 by Fr Thomas Norton OP from Louvain, and the present church is the third.   The first, built for the Dominicans in 1824 by Joseph Ireland, survived until 1976, although replaced by a new church on an adjacent site in the 1950s.  This second church was in turn replaced in 1992 by the present church, a large spreading building with a spacious interior arranged on a radial plan and enhanced by stained glass windows. The special interest of the site lies more in its history than in the architecture of the present buildings.

Read More

Holbeach - Holy Trinity (served from Spalding)

A typical 1960s small portal framed brick church. Thoroughly functional but architecturally not distinguished.

Read More

Hucknall - Holy Cross

An unremarkable brick and concrete portal frame church of the late 1950s, which is however notable for some fine modern stained glass by Joseph Nuttgens and Patrick Reyntiens.

Read More

Hyson Green - St Mary (Chapel of Ease)

A late Gothic Revival brick town church of 1910, one of several in the Diocese  built  by  the  Leicester  builder  F.  J.   Bradford,  with   some attractive Arts and Crafts touches and a contemporary presbytery. The design is not particularly original or groundbreaking for its date, but is of  good  consistent  quality.  There  are  a  number  of  notable  design features and furnishings, including an external carved stone Rood, stained glass and Stations of the Cross. The church has strong connections with the Venerable Mary Potter and the Little Company of Mary.

Read More

Ilkeston - Our Lady at St Thomas of Hereford

A striking and idiosyncratic Gothic design of the interwar period, old fashioned for its date, but nevertheless of some interest. Its tower with crown spire is a local landmark.

Read More