Alfreton - Christ the King

Nottingham Road, Alfreton, Derbyshire DE55

title= title=

The building complex forms a readily identifiable group on a principal route in Alfreton. The core of the building is a simple brick church of 1927,  but  the  attractive  original  design was  altered  and  overlaid  by utilitarian additions in 1982.

A small church dedicated to St Mary was opened on Park Street in Alfreton in 1883. In 1923 an appeal was launched for funds to build a new church on a plot on Nottingham Road. The new building opened in 1927, and according to the Diocesan Yearbook for 1928 was the first church to be dedicated to Christ the King (a feast instituted by Pope Pius XI in 1925). The architect for the church has not been established; its design (shaped gable with triple windows, stone portico) bears some resemblance to that for the original church  at New  Ollerton (qv), opened  in the following year, and they are almost certainly by the same hand.

In 1982 the design of the church was spoilt by the rebuilding of the shaped gable in simplified form and by the removal of the original Tuscan Doric stone portico and its replacement with a long narthex. At the same time a large new social centre and parish hall was built next to the church.

The church is a very simple building of brick with an added narthex clad in random coursed stone. A statue of Christ the King is set beside the entrance which is sheltered by a plain canopy. The church is lit by plain round-arched windows with clear glass. The narthex is a utilitarian space with glazed doors into the main body of the church. The interior is simply appointed with an open timber roof, a tall blank arched recess at the east end and a two-bay arcade on the north side of the sanctuary linking it to a Lady Chapel. There is a plain forward altar and simple timber bench seating and furnishings.  A Crucifix of interwar or later date hangs in the sanctuary and there is a plaster statue of the Virgin behind a timber altar in the Lady Chapel.

Diocese: Nottingham

Architect: Not established

Original Date: 1927

Conservation Area: No

Modifications: 1982

Listed Grade: Not listed