Beeston - The Assumption

Foster Avenue, Beeston, Nottingham NG9

title= title= title= title=

A church in the modern Romanesque style widely adopted for Catholic churches in the middle years of the 20th  century, extended in matching style in the 1970s. The church occupies a prominent location at the civic heart  of  Beeston  and  is  given  a  commanding  presence  by  its  broad, squat tower.

A missionary priest was appointed to serve Beeston and Long Eaton in 1884. Three years later Beeston became an independent mission, but this only lasted for a year. Mass was said in various places in the town until 1897, when a site was obtained in Styring Street and a church built from plans drawn up by a Mr Hart. This plain brick Gothic chapel, dedicated to St Peter, was opened by Bishop Bagshawe in 1898.

The present church site in Foster Avenue was acquired in 1939 and the foundations laid for a larger and more permanent church. Work was delayed by the war, but after the war F.M. Reynolds drew up new designs for the replacement church. Earlier versions were rejected as too costly or elaborate (this was the period of building licences) until a scheme was finally approved in 1951. The foundation stone was laid on  29  March  1952  and  the  completed  church,  dedicated  to  Our  Lady  of  the Assumption and built by the Nottingham firm of Sweeney & Palmer, was opened by Bishop Ellis on 21 March 1954. It provided seating for approximately 240 people. The presbytery was also built in 1954.

In 1971 the sanctuary was remodelled, and the original high altar and baldacchino removed. There was a further reordering in the 1990s, when the altar rails were removed.

In 1974 an extension to the nave was built in matching style by Reynolds & Scott, providing additional seating (bringing the capacity up to 300), a narthex, balcony and porch. The cost of these additions was £27,200.

A  parish  hall/community  centre  was  built  in  1984,  from  designs  by  Eberlin  & Partners.

The church is in the modern Romanesque style and consists of nave, narrow circulation aisles, central tower, transepts and chancel with side chapel and attached sacristy etc. The walls are faced in load bearing Ibstock brick laid in Flemish bond, with reconstituted stone dressings and tile roofs.    The main entrance is at the west front, where there is a three-bay porch with barrel vaulted arches covered in copper. The windows are all round arched and of vertical proportions, paired in the nave and transepts, triple in the sanctuary. There is a canted east wall to the sanctuary, plain apart from an inset cross. There is a further entrance to the church from the north transept, facing the street. The tower is broad and squat, with a row of low round- headed  high  level  windows  on  each  side,  insets  at  the  corners  and  shallow pedimented parapets.

The interior is a simple yet impressive space with rounded arches delineating the arcades, crossing and chancel, and plastered wall finishes (apart from a perimeter brick plinth). The original high altar and baldacchino (seen in figure 1) were removed in post-Vatican II reordering, but the church retains a number of original features or features of note, including oak benches in the nave, original light fittings, iron gates on either side of the sanctuary with inset Eucharistic symbols, and mosaic inlay in the chancel floor.  An Italian carving of the Assumption is in the side Lady Chapel, and the theme is also represented in the west window, over the gallery.

Diocese: Nottingham

Architect: Reynolds & Scott

Original Date: 1952

Conservation Area: No

Modifications: 1974

Listed Grade: Not listed