Mackworth - Diocesan Centre, attached to church of Christ the King

Mornington Crescent, Mackworth, Derby DE22

title= title=

A standard design of the period, of some note as an early example of a multipurpose  structure,  originally  accommodating  a  church,  parish hall and school.

Mackworth was a small settlement north of Derby which was greatly expanded by the creation of large housing estates to the east of the centre from 1959. The site for the church was purchased in 1962, and the first building to go up was a multipurpose building incorporating a church, school and social centre.   The builders were H.J. Warner Ltd of Derby. A presbytery was built in the following year and a new church on the adjacent site in 1971-2 (qv).  The building now  incorporates  the Diocesan Education Service offices. Plans dated 1993 by Marshall Architects suggest that a refurbishment was undertaken at that time.

The building is a flat roofed structure with brick cladding. It is of standard design for the  period  and  has  a  standard  interior  lacking  features  of  special  architectural interest.

Diocese: Nottingham

Architect: D.J. Montague of William Blair & Partners

Original Date: 1962

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed