Homily

A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Nottingham

The Diocese of Nottingham has 141 churches (as of 2011). The cathedral is in Nottingham and is dedicated to St Barnabas. The Diocese of Nottingham was founded in 1850 and encompasses the counties of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire and Rutland. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Westminster, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Westminster.

This area had strong recusants during the penal years, especially amongst the gentry, though once Catholicism was more widely tolerated church building was tentative until the early nineteenth century. Much building was done by AWN Pugin in collaboration with his patrons Ambrose Phillips de Lisle and John Talbot, the Earl of Shrewsbury. Robert Willson, who became the first Bishop of Hobart, Tasmania, who was responsible for much building there as well as beginning Nottingham Cathedral.

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Nottingham was completed in 2011.