Bovey Tracey - Holy Spirit

Ashburton Road, Bovey Tracey, Devon

A modest church of the inter-war period, with an attractive interior of distinctly Italianate character.

The first church on the site was a small iron building erected in 1904. This became the church hall when the present church was erected in the 1930s, principally at the expense of Mr & Mrs Dahl.  The older building was eventually replaced by the present modern hall which dates from the 1990s. The church was re-ordered in 2004.

Pebbledash walls, windows and dressings of stone, steeply-pitched roof with coverings of Cornish slate. The plan comprises an aisleless nave, southeast chapel and apsidal sanctuary. The western bay is wider than the body of the church behind, giving the building more presence when seen from the street, and the eaves of the roof are here carried on substantial stone brackets.  In the centre of the gabled west front is a broad, moulded semi-circular arch above the main door, flanked by narrower plainer round arches over side windows. Above the centre arch is a simple round opening and a niche in the head of the gable.  The side walls have simple round-headed windows.

 

The interior is more elaborate than the exterior.  The side walls are treated as blind arcades with round-headed arches carried on pilasters with triple-stepped capitals.  It may be that side aisles were originally intended, or at least provided for. The two eastern arches on the south side are open and lead to a small transeptal chapel.  The nave roof is a plain plastered barrel vault.  At the east end of the nave is a plain semi-circular arch leading to the apsidal sanctuary, the walls of which are lined with marble to head height. The nave has a parquet floor, on which are benches, presumably original. The windows are all clear-glazed. The octagonal stone font, the reading desks and the altar, brought forward in the re-ordering are probably also original fittings. The western bay of the nave has recently been partitioned-off to provide a small lobby.

 

This is a design of some sophistication; it is a pity the name of the designer appears to be unknown.

Diocese: Plymouth

Architect: Not established

Original Date: 1936

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed