Budleigh Salterton - St Peter, Prince of Apostles

Clinton Terrace, Budleigh Salterton, Devon

Modest inter-war church, with later additions.

The building chronology has not been established with certainty, but it appears that the church was built in 1927 and initially consisted of the nave and sanctuary, to which a north aisle was later added. There is a more recent northeast addition reached by an external ramp, containing modern facilities. The church was consecrated in 1938.

The church is faced with red brick laid in stretcher bond, with tiled roof coverings. On plan the building comprises a nave with projecting west porch, southwest transept housing the organ and north aisle, and a chancel or sanctuary with south transept and a modern addition on the north side containing lavatories.  The windows throughout the building are mostly simple rectangular openings with straight heads, but the north aisle side windows consist of pairs of small round-headed openings under a single relieving arch.

 

The interior has plain plastered walls and a boarded floor, partly carpeted. A boarded ceiling has been inserted fairly recently in both nave and north aisle.  There are two wide openings with cambered heads between nave and aisle and a similar but straight-headed opening to the south west organ chamber. At the west end of the aisle is a baptistery enclosure with an elaborate stone font in 18th century style on a baluster stem. The arch to the narrow sanctuary also has a cambered head and against the east wall is an Italianate pedimented timber reredos framing a painting of Our Lord.  The altar has been brought forward to the sanctuary step.  All the windows are clear glazed and none of the fittings calls for individual notice.

Diocese: Plymouth

Architect: Not established

Original Date: 1927

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed