Combe Martin - St Mary

Castle Street, Combe Martin, Devon

title= title=

Small and functional church building of the late 1960s, not of special architectural or historical interest. 

The date given for the establishment of the mission in the Diocesan Directory is 1945. The church was built in 1968 from designs by Friend, Kelly & Friend (plans in Diocesan archive). No other historical information is available

The church is a simple structure with load bearing red brick walls and a shallow-pitched roof with a steep gablet at the west end fronting the street. Central double doors on this front are flanked by wide windows lighting a rectangular entrance lobby. Beyond the lobby is the body of the church, which is slightly angled from the lobby to follow the boundary of the site.

 

The interior is a single space with plain plastered walls, a lino-covered floor and a boarded, shallow-pitched roof.  There are single-light clear-glazed windows on both sides with two double-light windows behind the altar. The church has modern bench seating.

Diocese: Plymouth

Architect: Friend, Kelly & Friend

Original Date: 1968

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed