Exeter - Holy Cross

Station Road, Topsham, Exeter, Devon

title= title=

Small inter-war astylar red brick church, built largely at the expense of the original parish priest, from designs of the prolific Wilfrid Mangan. 

The first Catholic church in Topsham was a former Methodist chapel but it closed when Topsham became part of Heavitree parish in 1932.  In 1934 the present Topsham church site was purchased from Heywood Bros of Exeter and the parish priest Fr Cahill solicited (and largely paid for) for a small new church built from designs by Wilfrid Mangan of Preston and London. The building was erected by Turl Bros of Topsham.

A simple astylar design by W.C Mangan, comprising a nave and sanctuary under a single pitched roof, with a small projecting west porch and a northwest tower with a pyramidal roof. The external walls are faced with dark red brick laid in stretcher bond, the main roof is covered with red pantiles, the tower with plain tiles. The main west door now has a modern pitched roofed canopy.  The aisle windows are straight-headed and arranged in groups of three.

Diocese: Plymouth

Architect: Wilfrid Mangan

Original Date: 1936

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed