Perranporth - Christ the King

Wheal Leisure Road, Perranporth, Cornwall

title=

A 1930s timber church, extended in the 1970s. While of no great architectural importance, it does contain some good stained glass by Dom Charles Norris.

The church was built in 1931 on land donated by Lord Falmouth. The church was extended at the ritual east end in 1974, when a new stained glass window was commissioned from Dom Charles Norris of Buckfast Abbey. The former presbytery has been sold.

The building is timber framed and clad in cedar shingles, under an asbestos slate roof. The later east end is built of matching materials and has a tall north elevation designed to accommodate the new Norris window, with a steep monopitch roof over. There is a new porch at the entrance supported on oak posts, with a shingle roof. Timber framed windows throughout, with opaque glass. The interior consists of a single worship space. There is a stone pedestal font inside the main entrance. No other furnishings of note, apart from the Norris window in the sanctuary. This consists of 14 panels with crowns (reflecting the dedication) and symbolic flames. 

Diocese: Plymouth

Architect: Marshman Warren Taylor, Truro (1974 extension)

Original Date: 1931

Conservation Area: No

Modifications: 1974

Listed Grade: Not listed