Torpoint - St Joan of Arc

Moor View, Torpoint, Cornwall

title= title=

Modest interwar church of no architectural importance but with a claim to be the first church in England dedicated to St Joan of Arc. 

Until the early 20th century the small number of Catholics in the Torpoint area had to cross over toPlymouth to attend Mass. Later, priests came over from Devonport to offer house Masses and the British Legion hut was also used. Finally a small site was acquired and the modest littlechurch ofSt Joan of Arc opened in 1933. According to Woodhead, this was the first church inEngland to be dedicated to St Joan, who was canonised in 1920.

 

The church is now part of the Saltash parish, from where it is served. The adjoining presbytery is occupied by a retired priest.

 

Church, attached sacristy and west porch, externally faced in painted pebbledash, under a shallow pitched slate roof with red clay ridge tiles. UPVC windows and rainwater goods.  The interior consists of a nave under an open truss painted timber roof, with a separate chancel in a recessed east end. There are no furnishings of particular note.

Diocese: Plymouth

Architect: Not known

Original Date: 1933

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed