Wareham - St Edward the Martyr

Shatters Hill, Wareham, Dorset

title= title=

A modest inter-war building of no architectural or artistic significance.

In 1888 a Community of Passionists settled at the Westport Estate inWareham. ThechurchofSt Michaelwas built in 1889, to designs by Canon A. Scoles. The Passionists leftWarehamin 1901 and the church was closed. In 1906 it was moved, stone by stone, to Dorchester to provide the Catholic church for that town (that church has now in turn closed and is now theTutankhamenMuseum).Warehamthen had a period without a church until the present building was erected in 1933.

A plain brick church of nave and sanctuary under one roof. Contrasting plum and red brick. Gables at each end and felted pitched roof.  Five bays of windows, a pair of tall and narrow rectangular windows to each bay, with broad pilasters between. Round arched doorway in the east wall, placed to one side. At the west end is a flat-roofed narthex, probably added in the 1980s. The felt flat roof is placed between parapeted walls. The narthex is slightly wider from the nave and is partly disconnected from it. Four tall and narrow rectangular windows to north and, all with plain coloured glass. The west front has a central round-headed doorway with panelled doors and a band of high level windows.

 

The interior of the narthex is finished in white brick and has a confessional on the north side. Glazed doors and screen to the nave. The interior has plastered and white-painted walls and a fully exposed lightweight roof, that over the sanctuary is painted white. The east wall has painted panelling, integral with the original high altar. The furnishings are simple and not artistically distinguished.

Diocese: Plymouth

Architect: Not established

Original Date: 1933

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed