A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Plymouth

The Diocese of Plymouth has 103 churches (as of 2009). The cathedral is in Plymouth and is dedicated to St Mary and St Boniface. The Diocese of Plymouth was founded on 29th September 1850. It contains the counties of Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, along with the Isles of Scilly. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Southwark, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Southwark.

The West Country was particularly resistant to Protestant reforms in the sixteenth century, and the ‘Western Rising’ popular rebellion against the reforms was crushed with 5,500 people being killed. The number of Catholics working in the navy and dockyards meant that Plymouth had the highest number of Catholics in the region, though admirable churches were built during the nineteenth century throughout the diocese. The twentieth century also saw fine work, including the last work of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (Christ the King, Plymouth).

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Plymouth was completed in 2009.