Wallingford - St John the Evangelist

The architectural and historic interest of this church lies principally in the late-eighteenth century façade, facing towards the Market Place. The rest of the church is a 1950s rebuilding.

Read More

Wantage - St John Vianney

A competent design dating from 1960, located in the Charlton conservation area.

Read More

Waterlooville - Sacred Heart

The church is an interesting neo-Byzantine design, with an unusual plan form, by Wilfrid Mangan, a prolific Catholic architect of the early-mid twentieth century.

Read More

Waterside - St Michael

A cheaply built church, using the Lanner system popular for small churches in the 1950s and 60s. Of no particular architectural significance, though a pleasant well-lit interior.

Read More

Winchester (The Milner Hall) - St Peter

Consecrated on 5 December 1792, this building is of considerable importance on both religious and architectural grounds. It is believed to be the first church in England to be consecrated since the Reformation and was instigated by the Rev. Dr John Milner (1752-1826) who went on in 1803 to become Vicar Apostolic of the Midland District until his death in 1826. It is therefore of significance in the history of Catholicism in this country.

Milner was appointed to Winchester in 1779, where he developed his antiquarian interests, and wrote a history of the city. In building his new church he worked closely with his friend, the architect, writer, illustrator and antiquary, John Carter (1748-1817). Carter was a pivotal figure as a propagandist of the Gothic Revival and his numerous articles in the Gentleman’s Magazine did much to promote an interest in the style. He also passionately argued for respect to be shown to historic church fabric, and his ideas and language anticipate those of the Ecclesiologists. The use of Gothic detailing in the chapel is therefore a part of the story of the resurgence of the style which was to reach its zenith during the mid-nineteenth century.

Read More

Winchester - St Peter

A large and impressive building by Frederick Arthur Walters (1849-1931), designed towards the end of his career. This prolific Catholic architect was articled to his father, F.P. Walters, and went on to work for Messrs Goldie & Child for nine years before commencing independent practice in 1878.

Walters did much work in the Romanesque revival style but, here, as in his early output, he built in archaeologically correct Gothic. St Peter’s is a large, assured work demonstrating Walters’ mature talent and is particularly notable for its spacious interior.

The complex of buildings on the site includes the Milner Hall, which originally was the church built by Dr (later Bishop) John Milner and consecrated in 1792 (see supplementary report).

Read More

Winchester - St Stephen

The building is a relatively modest one, designed to meet the need for a church in the suburbs of Winchester. Its octagonal shape maximises the space available for worship and gives high visibility and, as such, is typical of a strand of Catholic church-building design in the 1960s. A room attached at the rear allows for non-liturgical activities.

Read More

Windsor - Our Lady of Lourdes

This is a simple, functional building put up at low cost and having no heritage significance other than bearing witness to post-war Catholic worship in this place.

Read More

Windsor - St Edward

Charles Alban Buckler (1825-1905) was a London architect who worked extensively for the Catholic Church in a long career beginning in the mid-1850s. In the Diocese of Portsmouth he also designed St Mary, East Hendred, Oxfordshire (1865).

St Edward’s is a large church in a late-thirteenth to early-fourteenth century style which was so popular in the mid-Victorian years. The massing and details are quite conventional but are confidently and well-handled. The interior is spacious and well-lit, and is rich in fittings, furnishings and decoration.

The church forms an important part of a group in a conservation area with the Gothic presbytery of 1883 and the former school (1890s).

Read More

Windsor - St Mark

The church is a conventional building for its time and was designed to provide good-sized accommodation quickly and relatively cheaply. The exterior is plainly handled and the main efforts are concentrated on the interior. This is brightly lit from the west window. The decorative focus is the panelling on the east wall and the canopy over the altar.

Read More

Woolhampton - St Luke

Late 1960s church.

Read More

Woolhampton - St Mary

St Mary’s is of considerable historic interest as the only executed work in England by George Jonas Wigley, a significant figure in nineteenth century Catholic life and ecclesiology. While the building is architecturally unremarkable, the west front is an impressive, if quirky design. The interior is altered, but contains furnishings by Pugin and glass by Hardman and Wailes.

Read More

Yateley - St Swithun

This is a functional building with a large internal space, built in the grounds of Yateley Hall. Part of a large complex of church, parish hall and presbytery built in 1969.

Read More