Andover - St John the Baptist

Alexandra Road, Andover, Hants

title= title= title=

Post war church with a light and elegant interior, and some furnishings of note.

The church was built in 1957 to the designs of Richard Hare of Sarum Partnership. The nave is on a north-south axis. There is a single storey entrance lobby at the southern end, a sacristy on the northwest corner and a small side chapel to the northeast. The church was extended to the south by approximately four metres in 1989 (the contractor was Thomas King and Sons of Abbots Ann).

The presbytery was built in 1924 and extended to the northwest in the 1980s. The church hall is a single storey, utilitarian structure.

The cost of the church was £25,000. It seats 200.

The church is of brick and blockwork cavity construction, rendered internally; it has a shallow roof with aluminium sheeting and the original nave windows have precast concrete surrounds, with hardwood on the 1989 extension. Internally, the wood lined roof is supported by concrete columns. The nave glass is leaded, and there is are five-light stained glass windows of 1960 at the liturgical east end and south chapel (Crucifixion in the east window and Baptism with coloured glass in the outer panels to south chapel). There is a gallery at the liturgical west end. The church has a marble altar, pulpit and baptismal font.

Diocese: Portsmouth

Architect: Potter & Hare (Salisbury)

Original Date: 1957

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed