Bournemouth - Our Lady Immaculate

Seamoor Road, Westbourne, Bournemouth

title= title=

The church is of some historic interest for its possible Nonconformist origins and later Catholic use, but the building is not of great architectural interest and has little townscape value.

There is some confusion about the origins of the building. By some accounts it was originally a Nonconformist chapel, by others it was originally a public hall, then an Anglican chapel, then a market. The Jesuits bought the building through Lady Wimborne, and it was opened for Catholic worship in 1927.

The passage leading to the church building has a red brick screen wall on Seamoor Road which could well date from the later 1920s when the building became a Catholic church. The church is a rectangular structure of circa 1900 (it is not shown on the 1890 Ordnance map). It is built of yellow brick with a hipped slate roof. In the side walls are round headed windows with red brick surrounds; originally there were five windows on each side, but some have been blocked.

The interior is a single space with plastered walls and a projecting cornice, above which is a cove and a flat trabeated and compartmented ceiling. Mouldings on the walls echo the outlines of the windows and also of the small eastern apse.

Diocese: Portsmouth

Architect: Unknown

Original Date: 1900

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Not listed