Lyndhurst - Our Lady of the Assumption and St Edward the Confessor

Empress Road, Lyndhurst, Hants

title= title=

A compact Victorian Gothic memorial church by a prominent church architect (although not known as a designer of Catholic churches), with scholarly architectural detailing.

Catholics from Lyndhurst worshipped at Lymington for most of the nineteenth century until the building of the present church. The site was purchased and the building paid for by a Frenchman, M.Edouard Souberbielle, in memory of his wife Marie Louise, who died at Lyndhurst in 1894. She is buried in the mausoleum attached to the east end of the church. Souberbielle himself later remarried and is not buried with his first wife, as he had originally intended.

A church of modest size in the English Decorated style, built of Purbeck stone with Chilmark stone dressings and roof coverings of red tiles. The church comprises an aisleless nave and chancel under one roof with a projecting porch in the base of a small octagonal tower at the liturgical west end of the buildings. The tower has a spire. The west gable wall has a lean-to narthex passage across the full width of the building, connecting to a passage leading to the presbytery. Above the narthex is a broad window of five stepped lights. The nave is two bays long with three lancet windows in each and no clerestorey. The chancel has on the liturgical north side two two-light windows with a quatrefoil in the head and on the south side three lancets above a lower projecting sacristy with a twin-ridged roof. Extending from the east end of the church is a lower building in the same style which is the mausoleum of Marie Souberbielle and contains her large stone tomb-slab. Above the mausoleum in the east gable of the chancel is a round window.

Interior with stone walls, mosaic floor and boarded timber boat roof. The nave walls have plain window openings, those in the chancel have Purbeck jamb-shafts. On the north side of the chancel is an Easter Sepulchre arch and on the south side two large trefoil arches, one with a door leading to the sacristy. Fittings include the original altar, now brought forward, stained glass in all windows including the eastern roundel and a large modern reredos painting by Paul Natter.

Diocese: Portsmouth

Architect: Sir Arthur Blomfield

Original Date: 1896

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Grade II