Milford - St Francis of Assisi

Park Lane, Milford-on-Sea, Hampshire

title= title= title=

The church has some local historic interest for its original function as the Village Institute, but is not a building of architectural importance.

In December 1938 the Franciscan Sisters of Sainte Marie des Anges opened a home for priests at Maryland House in Milford and their chapel was open to the public. The house was requisitioned during the war and returned in 1945, but the home became run down, part was sold in 1961 and the convent finally closed in 1967. A former Village Institute building was purchased in 1967 for £7,000 and converted for use as a church.

Built on a rectangular plan, with a prominent pitched roof with red brick tiles. Gable end to road has modern (1960s) lobby addition across whole front with half-timber decoration in the gable above, with a central niche with an image of St Francis. The side elevation to Westcourt Road has a central projecting brick porch with battered sides, off-centre doorway and tile-hung gable. To the right of the porch are three timber casement windows; to the left is a passage under a pent roof with continuous small-paned glazing, in the main roof slope above the passage are two large dormers. On the rear elevation is a brick cross-wing with modern windows and door, which was probably added as part of the 1960s alterations.

The interior is one single space with a former stage area at one end, now converted to a chapel. The main hall has a carpeted floor, timber dado, plastered walls and a boarded ceiling, which was perhaps inserted in the 1960s below the original roof, whose ironwork is still partly visible. The stage front has some original decoration of the 1880s. An openwork iron screen has been inserted to divide the stage area from the main body of the church

Diocese: Portsmouth

Architect: Unknown

Original Date: 1888

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed