Petersfield - St Laurence

Station Road, Petersfield, Hants

title= title= title= title=

The church is a striking red brick building in an Italianate style and the church, church hall and presbytery have good group value. The architect, John Kelly, designed a number of Catholic churches around the end of the nineteenth century, including the Grade II* St Patrick, Soho Square, London.

The church and presbytery were commissioned in 1890-91 by Laurence Trent Cave of Ditcham Park, a prominent local Catholic landowner. A few years after it opened, the apse and transepts were added in order to accommodate the tomb of the founder, who died in 1903. The architect was John Kelly, of Kelly & Birchall. 

The church is a cruciform design in an Italian style with a nave, transepts, chancel and two side chapels. It has a prominent octagonal copper dome surmounted by a lantern. The exterior is red brick with stone dressings. The interior is well lit from clear upper storey windows. The sanctuary is entered through ornamental gates set in a marble balustrade, and the altar is marble faced. The marble font stands in the chapel to the left of the main altar. The pulpit and confessional were made by Edward Carter Knight in 1902 and were the gift of Mrs Cave. It is understood that the interior was reordered in the 1960s.

List Description: 

Cruciform Church of red brick in Italian style. Copper dome over octagonal drum, each face defined by Order and containing one round_ arched window. Copper cupola, with small octagonal drum, above. 4-bay, 2-storey nave with Order to each storey. Round arched lst floor windows with springing band, that in West end taller with cornice rising in arch above it. 1-bay transepts with large, round blank arches in ends. Chancel of 1 pedimented bay with lower apse to East. All ends pedimented. Inside, segmental vault to nave.

The single storey, brick built church hall is attached to the church. The presbytery is a substantial brick built house.

Diocese: Portsmouth

Architect: John Kelly

Original Date: 1891

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Grade II