Portsmouth - Corpus Christi

Gladys Avenue, North End, Portsmouth, Hampshire

title=

Late nineteenth century brick church with Perpendicular Gothic detailing, externally plain, but with an attractive spacious interior with some good fittings. Although early and more ambitious plans were not realised, this is nevertheless a church of some architectural and historic interest.

Corpus Christi was the third church to be opened in Portsmouth, after the Cathedral and St Swithun’s.

The church was opened and the altar consecrated by Bishop Vertue on 28 September 1893. A framed drawing by the architect William Lunn at the back of the church shows a much more ambitious design than that finally realised, with a large and asymmetrically placed tower and spirelet to the liturgical northwest, in the manner of Leonard Stokes. However, the design had to be modified, no doubt on account of cost, and according to the centenary mass booklet the church as built ‘could only be described as a huge barn’.

Between 1894 and 1900 the Sanctuary and aisles were added, and the High Altar purchased from a Ryde convent.

Diocese: Portsmouth

Architect: J. W. Lunn

Original Date: 1893

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed