Ventnor - Our Lady and St Wilfrid

Trinity Road, Ventnor, Isle of Wight

title= title=

A fairly conventional mid-Victorian church, though not without merit. Such special interest as it had has been greatly eroded by a major fire in late 2006.

Mass was being said at various locations in Ventnor from 1856 and it was not until 1870 that a permanent site was found in Trinity Road and a church built and opened in May 1871. The Diocese of Portsmouth database gives the architect as T. Chatfield Clarke, a London architect who came from the Isle of Wight and in about 1880 built himself a house, Oakfield, at Wootton. Pevsner & Lloyd however give the architect as J Clarke.

There was a devastating fire on 3 December 2006 and the nave is now roofless with the main structural walls and arcade remaining. The liturgical north aisle and sanctuary retain their roofs. An internal inspection was not possible. The church is built of stone, of nave with bellcote, later liturgical north aisle and sanctuary. Plain lancet windows and a trio of lancets to the liturgical west wall of the nave. The liturgical north aisle is also gabled and not much smaller than the nave. The arcade has octagonal piers and chamfered arches. The sanctuary is more individual, with five circular windows high up in the liturgical south wall and a high circular liturgical east window (boarded up). It is not known what if any furnishings have been salvaged.

Diocese: Portsmouth

Architect: J Clarke or T Chatfield Clarke (1829-95)

Original Date: 1871

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Not listed