Homily

A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Portsmouth

The Diocese of Portsmouth has 116 churches (as of 2007). The cathedral is in Portsmouth and is dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The Diocese of Portsmouth encompasses the counties of Hampshire, Berkshire (south of the Thames), Oxfordshire (south of the Thames), Dorset (the Bournemouth area), the Isle of Wight and the Channel Islands. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Southwark, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Southwark.

Created on 19th May 1882, the Diocese of Portsmouth took the western area of the Diocese of Southwark. Uniquely, the diocese contains a Catholic cemetery dating back to Elizabethan times at the chapel of St James near Winchester. Although the diocese is almost exactly coterminous with the medieval diocese of Winchester, the Ecclesiastical Titles Act (1851) forbade using that name, and so Portsmouth was chosen as the cathedral-proportioned church was already being built there.

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Portsmouth was completed in 2007.