Accrington - St Anne

An interwar church in the Norman Revival style, built to replace a school-chapel of 1899 (demolished). The most important furnishings are the high altar (1928) and Lady Altar (1936-7) by Giles Gilbert Scott. 

Read More

Accrington - St Joseph

A post-war Norman Revival church, notable for being built with voluntary labour, apparently without the involvement of an architect. The church has fine dalle de verre windows by Dom Charles Norris of Buckfast Abbey.

Read More

Ancoats - St Anne

A modern building with strong local presence and a striking interior. Some furnishings from the predecessor church by Weightman & Hadfield and other churches in the area are incorporated in the church.

Read More

Ashton-under-Lyme - St Ann

An early town church by E. W. Pugin in thirteenth century Gothic style, with a wide nave maximising views of the high altar. The external design is quite powerful, despite the lack of the intended tower and spire. The sanctuary has been reordered, but the interior some original fittings, including the reredos.

Read More

Ashton-under-Lyme - St Christopher

A post-war design consisting of an upper church over a lower hall, the prominent campanile making it something of a local landmark. The portal frame construction, materials and design are standard for the time. The interior has been reordered but retains some original furnishings. 

Read More

Bacup - St Mary

A compact urban church in the Early English Gothic Revival style, built beside the market place. It was later extended eastward with a sanctuary, side chapel and sacristy. The wide interior has a western gallery, a scissor-braced roof and some furnishings of note. The church and parish hall make a positive contribution to the local conservation area. 

Read More

Bamber Bridge - St Mary

A large and well-appointed Gothic Revival church of 1892 by P.P. Pugin, incorporating the tower, spire and outer nave walls of the predecessor church. Inside, the wide aisleless space is oversailed by a hammerbeam roof. The church retains its fine marble high altar with canopied reredos, as well as an early altar in the Lady Chapel. It is set within a large burial ground and forms a good group with the adjacent priory, former convent and parish War Memorial (on the Green).

Read More

Barrowford - St Peter and St Paul

A former school-chapel designed by the mission priest and built in 1897. The plain Gothic building occupies a dramatic location beside the river Pendle Water. It makes a positive contribution to the conservation area.

Read More

Blackburn - Good Shepherd

A plain building of the 1970s, built as a chapel-of-ease to St Albans.

Read More

Blackburn - Holy Souls

A modest suburban church of the late 1950s, the original design simplified to save on costs, and subsequently altered. There are some furnishings of note.

Read More

Blackburn - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour

A plain design of the 1950s, serving an estate of council housing.

Read More

Blackburn - Sacred Heart

A large brick Basilican Romanesque design by Norris & Reynolds, typical of many Catholic churches built in the 1930s by this firm and others. It takes full advantage of its prominent position in the townscape, with a tall northwestern campanile and tall west front incorporating figurative sculpture. The interior is stately, but does not contain furnishings of particular note.

Read More

Blackburn - St Alban

An ambitious design in a free Decorated Gothic style by Edward Goldie. The church is the fourth on or near the site, replacing buildings of the 1820s, 1780s and 1770s. Goldie’s design for a tower and spire was not realised, but a tower was built in 1960 from designs by Arthur Farebrother & Partners. The interior is little altered, retaining three fine altars and reredoses, communion rails, nave pulpit, baptistery and pews. The nineteenth century Gothic school buildings and early nineteenth century cast iron gate piers add to the interest of the group.

Read More

Blackburn - St Anne

A well-detailed church of the 1920s in Lombard Romanesque style. The building was significantly reduced in size after a fire in 2002, but the original design of the west front was faithfully recreated. The interior combines scale and intimacy, with a king-post roof and abundant use of marble.

Read More

Blackburn - St John Vianney

A plain design of the early 1980s, not of architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Blackburn - St Joseph

A well-designed church of the early 1980s, with contemporary presbytery and parish hall. The church interior is distinguished by dalle de verre glass, probably made by the monks of Buckfast Abbey. The building replaces a school-chapel built in 1877 by Goldie & Child.

Read More

Blackburn - St Mary and St John

The most architecturally ambitious pre-Catholic Emancipation church in the diocese, and a soaring early Gothic Revival design, notable for its elaborate carved stonework. The church was built from designs by John Palmer, architect of Blackburn Cathedral, at the expense of John Francis Butler of Pleasington Hall, and is set within a large burial ground. The vaulted interior is fairly little altered, apart from the loss of historic furnishings in the sanctuary.

Read More

Blackburn - St Paul

A simple building of the late 1960s, designed as a church hall to serve a future complex, only realised in part. 

Read More

Blackburn - St Peter in Chains

A large basilican church of the 1950s, the unremarkable exterior of which belies an impressive interior dominated architecturally by the interplay of rounded and parabolic arches, with good mosaic decoration, probably by the Ludwig Oppenheimer firm.   

Read More

Blackburn - St Teresa

A modest interwar building by Harold Greenhalgh, built as a chapel-of-ease to St Joseph’s, Blackburn. There are no furnishings of note.

Read More