Blackburn - St John Vianney

Livesey Branch Road, Blackburn, Lancs BB2

title= title=

A plain design of the early 1980s, not of architectural or historic interest.

The parish was erected in 1959 and a church hall built from designs by Walter Stirrup & Son of Blackburn. This served as a dual-purpose church and hall until the present church was built in 1981, from designs by Patrick Bishop & Partners, Manchester. This was designed to seat 300.

The 1959 building survives as the parish hall. The church is now served from St Peter in Chains, Blackburn (qv) and in recent years a handsome large Victorian red brick house on the adjoining plot, which served as the presbytery, has been demolished.

The church is of steel frame construction, clad in rustic red bricks. It is roughly square on plan, and has a shallow pyramidal roof with concrete pantiles and a cross at the apex. There is a gabled projecting entrance porch at the front.

The interior has not been inspected. A narthex area gives onto the main space of the nave, which is square on plan. According to the architect’s account, the seating is arranged around three sides of the sanctuary, with the rear wall of the sanctuary set back to allow windows to give light onto the tabernacle. Sacristies at the rear were located to be near the presbytery (since demolished) and to give an internal link to the narthex. 

Diocese: Salford

Architect: Patrick Bishop & Partners

Original Date: 1981

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed