Blackburn - St Teresa

Bentley Street, Intack, Blackburn BB1

title= title=

A modest interwar building by Harold Greenhalgh, built as a chapel-of-ease to St Joseph’s, Blackburn. There are no furnishings of note.

The church was built as a chapel-of-ease to St Joseph’s (qv) by Fr J. McEnery in 1937. The architect was Harold Greenhalgh. The building has the character of a parish hall, and was no doubt intended to serve a projected future parish church. An adjoining presbytery was built in 1963-4, from designs by Campbell & Driver, Blackburn. The church continues to be served from St Joseph’s.

A plain brick church, with reconstituted stone dressings and a slate roof. The façade to the street has a triple stepped window, and a stone cross on the gable. The entrance is through a flat-roofed adjunct at the side. The windows are modern replacements. The interior is plain in character, the only architectural embellishment being the pilasters marking the bay divisions. It consists of two cells, an aisleless nave and a narrower sanctuary, the rectangular opening to which probably originally had a folding screen. A suspended ceiling has been introduced in the nave. There are no furnishings of particular note.

Diocese: Salford

Architect: H. Greenhalgh

Original Date: 1937

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed