Homily

A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Salford

The Diocese of Salford has 184 churches (as of 2014). The cathedral is in Salford and is dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The Diocese of Salford is a relatively small geographical area in the north west of England, extending to the north into Lancashire, west towards Liverpool, south towards northern Cheshire and east towards the Pennines. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Liverpool, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Liverpool.

Created in 1849, the Diocese of Salford is one of the original Catholic dioceses from the restoration of the Hierarchy. Salford’s first bishop, William Turner, was consecrated in 1851. The census of that year shows there were 32 Catholic chapels. One of its most famous bishops was Herbert Vaughan, consecrated in 1872, who later became Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster.

Please note: the Church of the Holy Name, which is owned by the Jesuits, is not part of this Taking Stock review, though the Jesuit churches belonging to Stonyhurst College have been included. Churches in institutional use, such as school, prison and army chapels, have not been visited. Neither have Anglican churches ‘borrowed’ for Catholic worship, private chapels, or churches belonging to religious orders (unless in use as parish churches and listed in the Almanac).

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Salford was completed in 2014.