Irlam - St Joseph the Worker

Cutnook Lane, Irlam, Manchester M44

title= title=

A utilitarian structure of the 1960s, built as a dual-purpose church and parish hall.

Irlam was an undeveloped area with a sparse population until the nineteenth century. Expansion came with the arrival of the railway, and in particular, the Manchester Ship Canal, with attendant industrialisation.  The population rose from around 4,000 in 1901 to more than 14,000 in 1914.  A Catholic school had opened in 1874 and became a chapel-of-ease to Urmston in 1876.  A separate mission was created in 1900 and the church of St Teresa (qv) was opened in 1903. St Joseph’s was built in 1965 as a dual-purpose church and church hall designed by Desmond Williams & Associates to cater for the increase in population. 

All orientations given are liturgical. The building has a prefabricated steel frame with lattice steel roof trusses and prefabricated wall panels. The finish includes a boarded eaves trim. There are two entrances on the south side, one within a projecting porch. The other, towards the east end is a later insertion, and is approached by a low ramp. Lighting is by means of clerestory windows on each side. The porch leads to a foyer where there are WCs, and the interior includes social facilities with a kitchen at the west end. 

Diocese: Salford

Architect: Desmond Williams & Associates

Original Date: 1965

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed