Alderley Edge - St Pius X

Stamford Road, Alderley Edge, Cheshire SK9

title= title=

A functional design by Reynolds & Scott. The (probably contemporary) reredos canopy is of some interest and artistic merit, but most other furnishings are of standard design.

The parish was formed in 1946 and a former kindergarten converted as a church in 1954.  A house was bought for use as a presbytery in 1961 and a new church built in the grounds in 1967-68, from designs by Reynolds & Scott.

The church is typical of the cheaper hall churches built by Reynolds & Scott in the 1960s. It is concrete framed with clerestory windows and a pitched roof. It is clad in pale brown brick with small projections, a former baptistery and choir vestry, clad in stone. The frame is exposed inside and the space orientated with the altar on the long side. Bench seating is arranged on three sides of a forward altar on a low platform. The reredos is framed on two sides by narrow vertical window slits. It is of hardwood strips with a central panel with a Crucifix. The canopy above is unusual; M-shaped with a spiky skeletal appearance in the manner of ribs. It is a design of some note in a building otherwise furnished in a very simple unostentatious manner.

Diocese: Shrewsbury

Architect: Reynolds & Scott

Original Date: 1968

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed