Appleton - St Monica

Dingleway, Appleton, Warrington WA4

title= title=

A functional building of no architectural or historic interest, which started life as a parish hall. Plans for a separate church were not realised.

A local hall was used for saying Mass from 1958. Plans for a new church by Edward Massey of 1961 were abandoned owing to high costs. In 1962 a site for a church hall was donated by local builders J.R. Ashall, who undertook the project (from Massey’s designs,  according  to  Plumb,  p35). The hall opened in 1963 and the parish was formed in 1965. The interior was completely reordered in 1991.

The building is of frame construction with cladding and clerestory lighting. The interior and furnishings are decent and well appointed but without special interest.

Diocese: Shrewsbury

Architect: Edward Massey (Plumb)

Original Date: 1963

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed