Barnton - Our Lady of Fatima

Churchfields, Barnton, Northwich, Cheshire CW8

A simple functional building of the 1950s, without special architectural interest.

The church is of brick with a pitched roof, simple detailing and flat-headed windows. The west entrance has a porch and is approached from a flight of steps. The added hall at the rear is equally simple. The interior is a single vessel with a slightly cambered ceiling and recessed sanctuary. There is some early twenty-first century stained glass by Michael Newton of Northwich Glass and simple bench seating.

The church was opened in 1953 and served from Weaverham, where a new church by Reynolds & Scott was being completed concurrently. It may be that the same architects were used for the Barnton church. It claims to be the first church in England to be dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima. An extension with a parish hall and toilets was attached to the rear of the building in the late twentieth century.

Diocese: Shrewsbury

Architect: Unknown, possibly Reynolds & Scott

Original Date: 1953

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed