Macclesfield - St Alban

Chester Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11

title= title= title= title=

For some years the Pro-Cathedral of the Diocese of Shrewsbury, St Alban’s is an important early work by A. W. N. Pugin. The lofty, well-lit interior retains many nineteenth century fittings and features, notably the rood screen designed by Pugin (his first), and reordering has not harmed the qualities of the interior. Although the church tower was not completed, the building is a landmark on the west side of Macclesfield.

Catholicism was kept alive in the Macclesfield area by the patronage of the Davenport and Belasyne families of Sutton Hall; the chapel was used until 1716. Later in the century,  Catholics  were  served  by  priests from the Manchester and Stockport Missions who said Mass in various locations including rooms at the Castle on Backwallgate. In 1811 a chapel dedicated to St Michael was built on Chester Road, and a presbytery built adjacent in 1812 but as the Catholic community grew with the influx of mill workers, a larger church was needed. The project was the initiative of Fr (Dr) John Hall, the town’s first resident priest, and a site opposite St Michael’s was bought for £600 in 1835. Initial discussions were held with the architect M. E. Hadfield, before A. W. Pugin was recommended by the Earl of Shrewsbury, who provided substantial funds. The plans were produced in 1838 and William Smith appointed as contractor in 1839. The church was opened on 25 May 1841, but the tower was not built to its intended height and the top stage was omitted. St Michael’s chapel became the school. For some years, St Alban’s was the pro-Cathedral of the Diocese. Consecration took place in 1931. The church was reordered in 1982, under the direction of Richard O’Mahony. A forward altar was introduced in front of the rood screen, and the original sanctuary retained as the Blessed Sacrament chapel.

The presbytery is also by Pugin, and dates from c1850.

The list description (below) records the main features of the church, but few fittings are noted. In addition it is known that the reredos and pulpit were designed by E. W. Pugin and made by Richard Hassell of Macclesfield, who also supplied statues for the tower, the porch and the ends of the aisles. The stained glass in the east window is probably by William Wailes, a gift of the Earl of Shrewsbury and the Lady Chapel south window is by Hardman, designed by A. W. Pugin. The rood screen is significant as the first to have been designed by A. W. Pugin and incorporates fifteenth century German or Flemish figures, imported from Louvain. The pipe organ was installed in

1888, relocated from the Anglican parish church and first built in 1803; it was rebuilt in 1924. The Sacred Heart altar was installed in 1891. The war memorial statue is from Alberti’s of Moston, Manchester, 1930. The polychrome terracotta Stations of the Cross date from 1922. The wood block floor in the church was laid in 1930. Canon Chris Dwyer led the 1982 reordering, when a nave altar was installed to a design by architect Richard O’Mahony; at the same time the altar rails and gates were removed and re-used in furnishings. Recent light fittings were installed in 2008, to a design by McQuillans based on earlier lighting recorded in photographs.

Diocese: Shrewsbury

Architect: A. W. Pugin

Original Date: 1841

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Grade II*